Nathan Flinchum (@justnathan) - DIY BYOD AR: OMG: Tips for augmented reality beginners
Bringing History to Life
Overlay what the space looked like on top of what it looks like now.
The Big Idea-
- Seed Roanoke with historical imagery
- Promote som spots, not all
- Encourage the community to contribute images
They are using:
- likes libraries
- ad-free images
- can create a custom-skinned IOS app
- latitude/longitude for IOS
- cellular locative ability is not great. Locations on mobile devices are fuzzy. Geolocated points are difficult.
- conditions for image recognition are poor. Lighting makes a huge difference.
Do it anyway!
- historical collections can move outside
- armchair historians are drawn in
- it's cool!
Tips for overcoming challenges
- provide devices, if desired
- provide alternative viewing options
--- Google maps
--- Photoshopped images
--- In-library displays
- stay indoors on wifi
The distrbuted library
- History all around
- use the library as a home base
Michelle Yu and Mason Yang -
- digital natives
- mobile computing
- mobile computing as a platform for learning
What is it?
- AR is part of virtual reality
- a composite view
- the augmentation can take many forms
- typical AR research focuses on use of live video imagery that is then augmented
--- combines virtual and real
--- interactive in real-time
Why use it?
- can improve the user's performance and information comprehension
AR applications in various fields
- used in many different industries including medical and entertainment
- Yelp using the Monocle AR feature
- Google Goggles
- Google Sky Map
AR in libraries of today and the future
- a low-level version of this is using QR Codes to connect patrons with online content.
- allows people to visit in real-time from a distance
Audience comment - AR is allowing books to come to life. Characters can "come off the page." Great for use with kids.
- Nathan - books as apps. AR does not need to be a passive experience.
Audience member is using AR in her school library for book reviews. Another used it for a tour of the city.
Post a Comment