Speaker: Mary Ellen Bates
Google (and other Internet) Search Tips and Tricks:
- Parentheses don't work
- You type: (a and b) or (c or d)
- Google does: a and (b or c) and d
- To search a range works ($50..$125)
- The site search: Site:cdc.gov zika
- Use * strategically. * replaces any term in URL.
- site:*.nasa.* inurl:innovation
- "Tony hseih" -site:zappos.*
- Fined alternative names: "mr * hseih" zappos -tony
- Use: around(n) - to look for two words near each other but not as a phrase.
- "Hsiesh is" around(8) zappos
- Use reverse-image search on person's profile photo to find more mentions of the person. Do the search in Google image or another image search engine.
- Get leads for experts
- Site:Twitter.com/*/lists inurl:librarians
- Search Facebook from the outside
- Browse or search by name
- Only shows public search profiles
- Also try site:Facebook.com
- Can't ID a phone number? Look it up in Facebook.
- You can change your privacy settings to change it so people cannot look up your phone number.
- Filter your gmail.
- BingItOn.com - Bing's blind comparison of Bing and Google search results
- Millie.northernlight.com (free)
- Market intelligence
- 8 broad categories
- Strategy, industry segments, hot topics and trends
- Nice as a starting place
- Use filters to data-mine
- Works with the Internet and other search engines.
- Provides some useful intelligence
- ID competitors in LinkedIn
- "People also viewed"
- Use LinkedIn to find where people at a current company used to work
- Current company search
- Use past company search to find where people moved to
- Use LinkedIn to find what organization's people belong to and use that info to meet them
- Searching with images
- Search Google Images for charts, etc.
- Identity a site where you should dig deeper.
- Good myth busters
- Printfriendly.com - creates a printer-friendly version of a web page
- Is it worth paying for a fee-based versions of LinkedIn? She thinks yes.
- Can you "or" together several different sites for a site search? Yes, but she would suggest search each site one at a time.
Post a Comment