- There are more than 50 virtual worlds, with virtual worlds for children, teenagers, and adults. There are virtual worlds being used specific for business and education. Virtual worlds are not going away.
- Second Life (SL) has attracted people because it is free and it is an environment that allows people to be creative.
- It is worth repeating -- Second Life is free! Unless you want to own land, there is no reason to have a premium account. Premium accounts cost $9.95/mo.
- It does matter what hardware you use. Generally speaking, you want to use a fairly new PC with good processor. The video card will matter, too. Check the SecondLife.com web site for the computer requirement. You will also want to use a broadband Internet connection, not dial-up.
- There isn't a goal to Second Life. It's not a game. People do it for networking, professional development, and for fun.
I also did a Cyber Tour of SL at Internet Librarian in the fall (notes).
Technorati tags: CIL2008, Second Life