Tuesday, March 28, 2006

CIL2006: Digitization vendors

Yes, there were a few digitization vendors at CIL. I visited a couple of them, but really concentrated on attending sessions and networking. Why? First, the breadth of content was such at CIL that I wanted to take as much of it "in" as possible. Second, I had an opportunity to meet and talk with a lot of people that I had interacted with online. I could not give up those opportunities.

I did talk with PTFS, which is based in the D.C. area. Two things that CEO John Yokley mentioned were "mixed raster content" and "GIS-enabled" PDFs. (I think I have those phrases correct.) I'm going to follow-up with him later this week and hope to learn more about what they are doing.

Digital Library Systems Group was demonstrating its walk-up color digitization centers, geared for academic libraries, that can be used by students, faculty and staff. A very cool looking system! From the quick demo, it did seem very easy to use. Since it is an overhead scanner, it can be used with books and other bound materials.

Northern Micrographics and NMS Imaging were also there, as were companies like Palinet that offering training and consulting. Given the sessions at CIL, I would think more vendors that provides services and software needed for digitization project would exhibit at it. Perhaps we'll see more of them next year?


Technorati tag:

No comments: