Marilyn Johnson is the author of several books including This Book is Overdue!
- Since 2006, she has been talking to, learning from, and writing about librarians and libraries.
- What led her to write about librarians was speaking at library conferences about her book on obituary writers.
- Librarians have greatly influenced how she works and the tools she uses.
- What makes us great are those things we do naturally. Most people aren't like this. Some people think that what we so is magic.
- Librarians are examples of organization and access to those in the world around them.
- Librarians have proved tips and tools for her over the years.
- Even though she has two degrees, she often doesn't know how to ask what she needs to know.
- Librarians lead by identifying needy populations and services them.
- Johnson provided examples of librarians who have worked specifically with writers.
Brandy King, the 2017 conference chair, provided a peek into the Phoenix conference.
- We're a stronger association.
- The standards are being raised for next year's conference.
- A general session each day.
- Several conference steams with 5-8 programs at different levels.
- Conference sessions will be mapped to the SLA competencies.
- Lower hotel costs in Phoenix.
- Lots of direct flights.
- She thanked the staff for making the job of the program planners easier.