Thursday, December 20, 2007

Thank you (and some statistics)

Holiday decorations in the fountain at Manhattan Mall
I'm sure I'll blog next week, but wanted to take a moment before everyone goes on vacation to say thank you to YOU (my readers). When this blog began in August 2004, I couldn't have envisioned the reach it would have. As you can see from the Cluster Map on the left side of the blog, Digitization 101 has readers from around the world. Knowing how many of you there are is a very imperfect science, but here are some quick statistics:
  • Average number of visits per day to the blog site: 145 - 180
  • # of Bloglines subscribers: 221
  • # of subscribers via FeedBlitz: 207
I continue to receive feedback through email and face-to-face communications that tell me that the content of Digitization 101 is valued. I hear that not only from those of you who are beginning projects, but also from those of you who are deeply involved in this area. Lee Dotson from the University of Central Florida Libraries gave a very public thumbs up to Digitization 101 in the October 2007 issue of C&RL News. Dotson said:
As a digital services librarian, I am always on the lookout for the latest information on digitization, copyright, metadata, content management systems, social networking tools, preservation, and imaging as well as any and all related standards, grants, resources, software, conferences, ideas, and marketing concepts. Trying to find all that in one place is a little easier with the Digitization 101 blog. I don’t know how she does it, but Jill...jam packs her blog with the best of everything I need to stay current.
Wow...thanks, Lee!

Although the number of comments on Digitization 101 likely didn't increase in 2007, the number of emails -- and behind the scenes conversations based on content -- did. Thank you for the questions, the comments, and the things that you have taught me!

If you have been reading Digitization 101 since 2004, you've seen some changes in content. For example, you have seen posts on federated search software, which may be used to search digitized materials and other digital collections simultaneously. You've also seen posts on social networking, which is an area that I am involved in. Since social networking really shouldn't be part of this blog, I launched a blog specifically for that topic in October called eNetworking 101: The Blog. This has given me an outlet I really needed and ensured that the content of Digitization 101 didn't get diluted.

So what is in store for 2008 for me and this blog? When I started Digitization 101, I promised myself that I would blog every day and that has generally been true...and I doubt that will change in 2008. In 2008, I want to write more about JPEG2000 (no, I haven't forgotten about that), federated search, institutional repositories and other topics that those involved in digitization need to be aware of. I'd also like to write more about actual programs/projects. As I write, I hope you'll continue to let me know your thoughts. Knowing what's on your mind truly helps me.

As 2007 draws to a close, I hope you can look back and be pleased with the year you had. I also hope you are looking forward to what will surely be an awesome 2008! As always, I hope our paths cross whether at a conference, a small gathering, over coffee or via email/IM. Please...don't be a stranger!

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Jill, it's so good to read your wise and fine comments every time we open the Blog, despite the distance, in a different context and environment, of course, but always sharing views and concerns about our beloved trade.

We are starting a digitization business in France and hopefully Europe, with the right mixture of professionalism and ethics we would like to find everywhere. Come and visit our site. We're at http://www.scripto-tempo.com

AND we will remain faithful to your Blog, Jill, as it is the right place to share ideas for the present and the future.

Best wishes to you and all in your work and private life for this New Year!