While this blog is focused on digitization, it is important to recognize how technology is being used, because it will affect us at some point. For example:
- Thousands -- of not millions -- of digital photos were taken yesterday. How many of those should be preserved and how?
- Cell phone companies encouraged people to text message rather than making phone calls while in the D.C. area, because voice is more of a burden on the network. I suspect that some of the text messages might be worth saving, but how?
- Lots of information was posted on web sites yesterday. Can it be archived? By the way, some people did take screenshots of the White House web site before and after it changed yesterday. Should the be saved somewhere?
- People posted video messages. Can they be found and archived?
- Can the stories of why this is important to people -- yes, all of those personal stories -- be captured and stored for prosperity? Some of these are already on video (news reports), but many others have not been captured.
This is a new era and there are things we need to learn.
Technorati tags: Archives, Web archiving