They did the big read. Gave away paperback books. Had the book as an ebook. Had related dinner theater, etc. There was a QR code near the books in the library, which told you what you needed to do for the scavenger hunt. The scavenger hunt was held around the town (outside of the library). Two businesses adopted QR codes after hearing about it from the library. When you were done with the hunt, you were entered into a drawing.
Promoted the QR code scavenger hunt with T-shirts and other items.
Did it work?
- There was info on the QR code in their newsletter
- Shared info on Facebook, etc.
- News media picked up on it.
- 300+ people started, but only 8 people finished. Fingered that people didn't want to go all over the city and perhaps ask where the code was in an establishment. People may have felt obliged to buy something in the businesses and so didn't go.
- Learned from it.
- Now are using it to connect users to the library's mobile web app.