Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Talking to LIS/MLS students

My Thursday has gotten rearranged. I was suppose to talk to an SLA chapter in Connecticut, but the date turned out to be a bad one for their membership. (Something that couldn't have been predicted upfront.) So -- since I'm going to be in NYC anyway -- I'll guest lecturer at two introductory library science classes at the Pratt Institute's Manhattan campus on 14th Street. I was told that the students are interested in digitization and social networking tools, so I have two "easy" topics to discuss. Then I heard that they're also interested in alternate careers, so I guess I won't run out of things to talk about!

Pratt is known for its programs in art and design (broadly speaking), two areas that are being impacted by the digital world. Those areas are creating digital content that must be preserved. If some of the students come from those disciplines, I may want to focus on digital preservation, since it may hit "home" more quickly.

The students at Pratt are fortunate that the library council (consortia) in New York City working with its members on digitization programs, and frequently offers training classes. If the students don't have access to training at Pratt, they can attend workshops on relevent topics through the council. They may also have many opportunities for internships in the area. They might even shadow a person/team that is involved in a digitization program for a day. Those options, however, are not available to every library student at every school. Not every school is located where there is so much activity. I'll have to remind the students at Pratt that they are lucky.


Technorati tag:

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

It sounds like your audience might be interested in some of what was discussed in the SAA2007 session that addressed preservation of born digital records of the design community. I have a fairly extensive post on the session here.

I was not familiar with the details of this area of digital preservation until this presentation - but I left with my head full of visions of buildings built with no paper drawings and architects who use whatever software they can get their hands on.

Jill Hurst-Wahl said...

Thanks! I've printed it and will read on the train tomorrow.