Monday, January 15, 2018

Podcast: The cost of a dream

Tribute to Rose Parks & MLK (Dallas)
Memorial to Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks (Dallas)
The Marketplace Morning Report did a brief story on the fact that Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech is still protected by copyright.  The story is within the first two minutes of the seven-minute episode.

Years ago, I used to sleep with the radio on.  I have a fond memory of waking up early in the morning on his birthday in 1982 and hearing the entire "I Have a Dream" speech on the radio. Yes, all of it.  That was back when the family had not wrestled control of the copyright status and stopped it from being shared openly.  What a joy it was to hear the entire speech in his voice! I wish everyone now could have that same joy and the same experience of hearing the speech on the radio, TV, Facebook, etc. 

At this moment, that is my dream! Let's hope that the family (or whomever now controls its use) will make it so soon.

No comments: