The traditional measurement of success for libraries are things like:
- Number of library card holders
- Number of books borrowed
- Number of database searchers
- Number of people who come into the library building
- The impact on parents who can shop at the mall while their kids use the library branch that is located in the mall?
- The economic impact of those who did career research at a library?
- The joy of teenagers who go to a LAN party at a library and the impact of them "not being on the street"? (LAN parties are for playing networked computer games.)
- The knowledge gained from using a library?
- The decisions made from using consumer health information from a library? (BTW there is a project in the Albany, NY area that mails consumer health information to people's homes on-demand.)
- The number of people who improved their lives because of something the library did?
- The curiosity peaked from using digitized materials?
Technorati tags: Libraries, Outreach