The first speakers - led by Paul Solomon - talked about thinking outside the box with their doctoral program. They hold a short boot camp with the doctoral students, in order to help them focus. The students found it very helpful in grounding them.
American Pragmatism - Chuck Curran, et al
Need better theory and practice integration. More integration would allow for the development of new theories. While American Pragmatism is not new, it could be a new way of thinking into our courses.
Case based learning as a way of teaching information ethics - Mirah Dow, et al
Using Dervin & Clark (2003) to help with case based learning and sense-making
What are authentic cases?
- Storytelling quality
- Interesting characters
- Controversial topics
- Dilemmas to engage the students
- Case-based instruction provides the authenticity necessary for students to frame social issues as information problems.
- Case-based instruction provides the basis for learning basic principles of information ethics including information freedom, intellectual property, privacy, professional ethics, and intercultural ethics.
- CAS-based instruction enables students to express substantive perceptions of being critical.
- Case-based insurrection enables students....(I think the rest of it was about leadership).
This group's research is being published in the ALISE journal (JELIS).
Public Library Fellowship Course - Denice Adkins
- Focused on leadership in public libraries
- 12-credit capstone experience
- Small cohort each year
- Problem-based learning
- Using professionals to inform professional practice
- Advisory board of Missouri Directors of Large Libraries
Creative Writing in LIS Courses - Karen Dali, et al
- Cross disciplinary course on reading and writing
- Dali used a nine minute video to deliver her presentation.
- Are working to publish this.