April 6, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m. -- Digitization 101 workshop at Computers in Libraries conference, Crystal City, VA. Cost $159/person.
The agenda includes a look at what digitization is, the five major steps in the digitization process, how project managers create a successful digitization program, copyright and other intellectual property issues, how to market a digitization program and get it funded, trends, and more.June 15, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. -- Digitization Essentials workshop at the Special Libraries Association Annual Conference, Seattle, WA. Cost $299/SLA-members, $399/non-member.
Digitization is much more than converting a physical or analog object into its digital equivalent: it efficiently repurposes crucial information resources to improve their use by staff, colleagues, and end-users. For libraries, digitization can open the collection to a much larger user-base, whether that user-base is comprised of researchers, students, or business people. A dangerous trap for digitization efforts is to focus on the conversion process instead of other, mission critical, pre-scanning issues such as selection criteria, preservation of original documents, metadata creation, software and hardware concerns, integration into existing systems, and legal issues. These issues and more will be discussed in this workshop.In addition to these two workshops, the following events are on my schedule through June:
- Mar. 18 -- Presentation, Tour of InfoIsland, Second Life (web conference for Education Institute)
- Mar. 19 -- Presentation, Second Life & Libraries, Wheeling, IL (North Suburban Library System)
- Mar. 25 -- Workshop, Emerging Technology: Introduction to Second Life, Liverpool, NY (CLRC)
- Mar. 27 -- Presentation, Social Networking Tools & Second Life, Cortland, NY (Postponed from December due to the weather) (SUNY Cortland Library)
- April 7 -- Cybertour of Second Life's Info Island International, Crystal City, VA (Computers in Libraries)
- May 22 -- Presentation, 2.0 In Your Library, Kalamazoo, MI
- June 16 -- Panel Discussion, What's all the Buzz about Social Networking, Seattle, WA (SLA Annual Conference)
- June 17 -- Panel Moderator, Building Bridges, Creating Partnerships, Seattle, WA (SLA Annual Conference)
Technorati tags: Digitization, Second Life, Social Networking Tools, SLA2008, CIL2008