Thursday, September 13, 2007

Quote from Peter Kareiva on being a prolific writer

In a week where I have much to write (elsewhere), but little to blog, this seems appropriate.

We live in an age where there is an abundance of information on every topic. Some people have successfully added to the collective wisdom in their field of expertise (insert name here of those you can think of). How do they do it?

It is reported that Peter Kareiva, chief scientist for the Nature Conservancy, is a prolific writer because he never sleeps. His response:
That's a total myth...I'm fast and I don't worry. I have published lots of mistakes. I think a lot of people are slow when they write because they think they're going to get it right. That's arrogant; you're going to get it wrong. But you're adding to the discussion. The standard of comparison is, What's the world like now, and can I improve things no matter what I do?

Nature Conservancy, Autumn 2007, p. 23
May we each find ideas and information to add to the discussion on digitization. If not today, then maybe tomorrow...

No comments: