Audiovisual Preservation for Culture, Heritage and Academic Collections A One-Day course of what you need to know - and who! Preliminary announcement
Seventy percent of all audiovisual material is under immediate threat of deterioration, damage or obsolescence - and seventy percent of collection managers don't know it. Surveys have found serious shortages of trained staff and equipment, and an even more serious shortage of concerted preservation actions. The immediate needs are: awareness - and help.
This one day course will provide basic information on the problems of audiovisual material, what to do about them - and where to get help and more information. The targets are culture, heritage and academic collections, to focus on a group of people and collections with broadly similar issues and solutions.
- King's Digital Consultancy Service, King's College London: www.kdcs.kcl.ac.uk
- British Universities Film and Video Council: www.bufvc.ac.uk
- Training for Audiovisual Preservation in Europe: www.tape-online.net
- Prestospace: www.prestospace.org
Fee: £60 includes lunch for non-profit making organisations (VAT will not be charged) or £180 (plus VAT) for the corporate sector (who will be allocated any remaining places not taken).
Early registration is advised, as numbers will be limited to approximately 25 persons.
For registration and further information http://www.kdcs.kcl.ac.uk/AVpres.htm
Programme for the day
Basics: (1.5 hrs)
- Welcome and Introduction - KDCS
- Basic facts about audiovisual materials - BBC
- Lessons to be learnt from major film and video digitisation projects - BUFVC
- Digital Audiovisual Preservation: AHDS - Arts and Humanities Data Service
- The ITN News Archive - a JISC project
- The British Library Sound Archive - a JISC project
- Preservation and access at the BFI - British Film Institute
- Preservation and Commercialisation - Imperial War Museum
- Preservation in a Research Institute - Welcome Institute
- Preservation Cost models - Southampton University (PrestoSpace)
- Audiovisual Websites and Portals - System Simulation Ltd (PrestoSpace)
- Metadata - BBC
- Sources of Help: PrestoSpace, TAPE, JISC, KDCS, AHDS, EC - BBC
- The JISC strategy for the future of audiovisual collections - JISC
- Open Question and Answer session.