The fallacies are:
- Digital preservation is very expensive [because]
- File formats become obsolete very rapidly [which means that]
- Interventions must occur frequently, ensuring that continuing costs remain high.
- Digital preservation repositories should have very long timescale aspirations,
- 'Internet-age' expectations are such that the preserved object must be easily and instantly accessible in the format de jour, and
- the preserved object must be faithful to the original in all respects.
Technorati tag: Digital Preservation