I'm not going to make it a habit of posting job announcements here (unless that's something you all want), but thought I'd post this one as proof that jobs are out there. This one in particular caught my eye because it is for a Metadata Librarian!
Metadata Librarian Posting of 12/12/2005
The Metadata Librarian at the Libraries of The Claremont Colleges will serve as resident authority on existing and emerging metadata schemas; catalog digital objects selected for the Claremont Colleges Digital Library (CCDL); serve on the CCDL Policy Task Force; ensure quality control on digital objects in the CCDL; and create and maintain CCDL best practices documentation. This position reports to the Digital Initiatives Librarian.
Essential Functions: The Metadata Librarian will:
- Collaborate with Special Collections, subject specialists,catalogers, and other library staff to select appropriate schemas for descriptive, structural and administrative metadata and authority controls for CCDL collections.
- Catalog digital objects from our Special Collections andcampus wide resources in all formats for dissemination in theCCDL.
- Participate on the CCDL policies, guidelines and bestpractices task force.
- Identify, create and maintain documentation on bestpractices for creating and preserving digital objects and applying metadata schemas and authority controls.
- Perform second level quality control on all digital objectscreated for the CCDL.
- Participate in departmental and libraries-wide committees and work groups established to further the mission of the Libraries of The Claremont Colleges.
- Contribute to providing user services, including referenceservice in an area related to CCDL collections.
- ALA-accredited MLS, MLIS (required for Librarianappointment) or equivalent degree.
- Knowledge of AACR2r, LC classification, and MARC21.
- Comprehensive understanding of authority controls like LCSH,TGM, AAT, LCNA, ULAN, etc.
- Minimum two years experience cataloging digital objects.
- Experience using metadata schemas such as Dublin Core, EAD,XML, TEI, METS, MODS, MADS, or PREMIS.
- Knowledge of how digital library collections are used in anacademic setting.
- Advanced computer skills, and experience with MicrosoftWindows 2000 and XP operating systems and commonly-used productivity applications.
- Effective communication, planning, time management andorganizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Adeptness at working in a rapidly changing technologicalenvironment.
- Familiarity with digital asset management systems.
- Knowledge of best practices for digitization of primaryresources.
- Awareness of copyright laws and rights management issues in a digital environment.
Salary: Minimum starting annual salary is $42,507. Starting salary offered and appointment to rank in the Librarian Series are commensurate with education and experience. In addition the Claremont University Consortium provides an attractive benefits program that includes medical insurance, sick leave, 22 days vacation, two personal days and ten paid holidays per year.
To apply: Send resume with cover letter and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three references who are knowledgeable about your qualifications for this position to:
Search Committee: Metadata Librarian, Attention: Alberta Walker, Associate Director, Libraries of The Claremont Colleges, 800 Dartmouth Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Applications received by January 10, 2006 will receive first consideration.Located at the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains in the city of Claremont, California (population 36,500), 35 miles east of Los Angeles, the Claremont Colleges are a geographically contiguous set of five top-ranked liberal arts undergraduate colleges and two graduate institutions, uniquely configured to support and encourage interdisciplinary study. The Libraries, a part of The Colleges' supporting organization, the Claremont University Consortium, support all seven colleges across a wide spectrum of disciplines. Comprising four buildings, three of which are located on individual campuses, the Libraries hold more than 2 million volumes and subscribe to a vast array of electronic resources.
EMPLOYMENT IS CONTINGENT UPON NEW EMPLOYEE PROVIDING DOCUMENTS VERIFYING U.S. CITIZENSHIP OR, FOR ALIENS, DOCUMENTS VERIFYING LEGAL PERMISSION TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES. APPLICANT'S ACCEPTABILITY FOR POSITIONS REQUIRING USE OF A COLLEGE VEHICLE IS CONTINGENT UPON A DRIVING RECORD ACCEPTABLE TO THE COLLEGE'S AUTOMOBILE LIABILITY INSURER.
Claremont University Consortium is an Equal Opportunity Employer, Committed to providing career opportunities to all people, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or disability.
Email Instructions: You may apply for positions via email. The address is email@example.com. Please do not include attachments in the message. Include the resume as normal text in the body of the message. You must follow up the email application with visit to Office of Human Resources or a copy mailed to the address above.
Technorati Tag: Digitization