Tuesday, May 24, 2005

What I really want to know about Google

Back in December, when Google first made their plans known, I was very excited. My excitement wasn't so much about how many books they would digitize, but what we would learn from their efforts. I looked forward to hearing how they were going to do this. Unfortunately, the sharing of information that normally occurs in the library community has been replaced by the corporate need for non-disclosure.

Instead of hearing about technology, making content searchable, content presentation, etc., we're hearing about other entities being upset at Google's work, either because they see it as U.S.-centric or an attack on the copyright law. I'm not discounting those talks and articles, but I wish some of the other aspects of the project would be discussed and written about.

Google -- you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by lifting the cloak of secrecy, even if it is just for a moment. Tell us about the technology, the problems, the successes...teach us what you are learning.

That's what I really want to know.

No comments: